The old part of Las Palmas dates back to 1478, when the original fort was established by Juan Rejon, the Spaniard who had conquered the island of Gran Canaria. One of the buildings later constructed for the authorities was the Governor's Residence, where Columbus presented his credentials in 1492 when he stopped at the island to have repair work done to one of his ships before proceeding to the New World. The original Governor's Residence now forms part of the architectural complex known as the Casa de Colon or "Columbus House", which in 1952 became a public museum under the patronage of the Cabildo Insular, the local government of Gran Canaria.
The museum has two large courtyards and twelve rooms housing permanent exhibitions. Architectural features like its caissoned ceiling, arches and columns are reminders of the very particular way in which the late Gothic style was interpreted in the Canaries.
The technological progress and ambitions associated with the renaissance stimulated the search for new trade routes, leading to Columbus' trans-Atlantic voyage and contact with the New World. Information on Columbus and his voyages is provided through scale models, panels and representative objects. Pennants, nautical maps, navigation instruments, model caravels and routes are all presented in an informative and educational way.
Lähde: EXCMO. CABILDO INSULAR DE GRAN CANARIA, SERVICIO DE CULTURA: CASA DE COLON.